Saturday, July 3, 2010

My Summer in Paris.

I'm not really going to Paris this summer, but I am embracing the very Parisienne look of very little makeup.  It's just too hot.  Feeling your skin suffocating under a layers of primer, concealer, foundation and then powder to make your skin matte is just not my idea of comfort during 90 degree days.

I must confess, I'm not a big foundation wearer.  I prefer to just do a light dusting of mineral makeup to even the skin tone, but can't even bring myself to that in this heat.  My solution?  Do it up en francaise!  French women are meticulous about their skin.  Visits for facials are monthly things in france, and taking care of their skin is something french women take very seriously, which is why you usually see french women with little to no make up.  Yes they do enjoy cosmetics, but we're talking simplicity over the immense amount that, say, italian woman wear.  They take great care in washing, masking and moisturizing their skin every day.  And the beauty of a french woman's skin, is radiant.

So, this brings me to my current heat fighting and chic seeking look.  It's really simple too!  After washing my face and moisturizing, I slather my lashes with mascara (I like MAC's Fiber Rich as a base with their Opulash and Zoom Lash on top) and then a nice simple matte red lip on top of lip balm so as not to make it look and feel so dry (I like MAC's Russian Red, a lovely blue red, or their Viva Glam 1, which every cent goes to the MAC AIDS fund to help men, women and children living with AIDS, great lipstick for a great cause).  It also takes less time than a full face, but still leaves you looking polished and fresh.  I also recommend eyebrow grooming.  Just a little pencil and some brow gel and you're ready to conquer the day.  If you want to wear this look for evening, I suggest gluing in a set of demi lashes to give your eyes a bit more umph, but this looks easily goes from day to evening.

Who needs to sweat off layers of makeup when you can let your gorgeous skin and natural beauty shine through.  Vive La FRANCE!

[vanessa-paradis-vogue-nov-2008.jpg]

Vanessa Paradis on the cover of french vogue wearing this lovely look.

3 comments:

  1. I have some questions!

    a) What do you use generally for washing/moisturizing? (I hope I'm not being lazy by not looking to see if you wrote about this recently)

    b) Am I a sinner for not ever ever ever using foundation?

    c) Will you go cosmetically shopping with me someday? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I have answers!

    a) I have never named products before so don't fret. My philosophy behind cleansing and moisturizing is less is more. Don't over think it. I LOVE Weleda's line. It's simple, made from plants and essential oils and pretty naked. I use their Iris line and their Rose night cream. They have a rather diverse product called Skin Food that I mix with my night cream for extra nourishment, the stuff is great on anything from burns to bug bites. I also use a Shea cleansing bar from an african soap company for deep cleaning (usually at night).

    b) A saint perhaps, but certainly not a sinner. You have lovely skin.

    c) OH YES! I can never say no to a shopping excursion. I shutter to think how much money I will spend on cosmetics up in NYC. OH THE AGONY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love my mineral powder makeup--it's so much nicer than heavy slap.

    I'm so glad you blogged about this!

    ReplyDelete