Friday, March 19, 2010

Getting that young skin through the use of serums or medievil magic

I am obsessed with staying young looking forever.  OBSESSED!  Within reason, of course.  I am terrified of Botox, Restalin, face lifts, etc.  These all seem barbaric and very scary, but nothing is waddling or hanging on the ground just yet, so I may still be convinced.  However,  I haven't ruled out bathing in the blood of virgins or sacraficing a goat in honor of some obscure Icelandic God.

  I am a huge fan of serums, expensive serums.  So, in a huge effort to save a little money to spend on my newer clothing addiction, I am on the road to begin making my own to see how they compare to the high-priced, delicious, anti-aging serums in department stores or even just Whole Foods.

My final paper/presentation in esthetics school was written about the benefits of essential oils to the skin.  I have had a long running love of essential oils, rolling back to my dabbing on of patchouli and ylang ylang oils in highschool as perfume.  Perfume is another obsession that will be saved for another entry.  So what did I learn while writing this paper?  A few basic things, actually....

  • Rose oil promotes cellular regeneration, it fades old scars, it helps get rid of those pesky broken capillaries that we get on our cheeks and around our nose as we get older.  It also has a cooling effect on angry skin.  All good things.
  • Frankincense oil prevents the formation of wrinkles and smooths out the skins appearance.  It clears acne and acne scars.  It also reduces the size of pores...HUZZAH!
  • Tangerine oil is wonderful against stretch marks and cellulite.  It also brightens the skin.
  • Chamomile (Roman) is another little goody with anti aging effects and superior calming effects both on the skin and for the mind.
  • Tea Tree oil is antiseptic, antifungal, and antibacterial.  
  • Lavender is probably the most amazing and impressive one of the bunch.  Lavender actually balances sebum production in the skin.  It also relaxes you...and everyone needs a little relaxation.
I had a few of these laying around tonight, so with my regular Vitamin C serum (which I will be making my own one this one runs out) I mixed them in.  My skin feels terrific.  I also used a little jojoba oil (which mimics the skin's sebum) as a carrier oil, as I didn't think the tiny dab of serum would be enough.  I will report back in about a week regarding how things are going.  I am going to get a dropper bottle to premix the serum as carrying a bunch of glass bottles into the bathroom is an accident waiting to happen.

I was telling my husband today that my passion for skin care has really gone into the homemade realm of things.  After working for a company for two years that is handmade, and whose products I find superior than most, I think it is essential to put a little of one's self, a little of that magic love into your product.  This way, the product will stay fresh and you can mix it on the spot and not refer your already cared-for clients to a shelf of things that may or may not work for them.  I will hopefully be able to provide that kind of service in the future to my clients.

Does anyone have any favorite olde recipes for their skin?

By the way...I smell delicious!

4 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful resource! Thanks for posting!

    -Connie AKA Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm so glad you enjoy it. More to come soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been using this post for the past two weeks!

    In the morning, scrub and then apply a few drops of lavender as toner, then my daytime moisturizer

    Midday, a few drops of rosemary essential to freshen and brighten

    At night, scrub and then moisturize with frankincense and grapeseed oil on face and hands.

    My skin looks so much brighter and old acne scars have faded! Before I used only tea tree oil but now I am convinced. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad this has helped. I really believe that using ingredients closer to our own skin's make up is essential in fighting any of the problems. xoxox

    ReplyDelete